Tuesday 25 November 2014

Diary of David (EPISODE FIVE)

That night my sleep wasn't entirely peaceful, moving and adjusting at every slightest thought, images of jane dominated my dream. The night of seven hours seemed like seventeen hours. Although the next morning I ended up waking up with the lark but the night still seemed long. I sat upright and placed my palm on my forehead to ease the pain of the splitting headache. The twilight sky dimly lit up the room causing me to spot objects only in my immediate surrounding. It took a while for my brain to boot and isolate yesterday from my numerous dreams, I sat entirely still staring at a particular object and lost in thought. Scary scenarios flashed through my mind and I wondered what ill-fate could be in stock for me today. My thought was interrupted by the loud crow of my neighbours cock, I was back to reality and noticed the day had gotten much brighter without wasting any more time I went down on my knees for my daily devotion. My prayer that morning was unusually long and I mentioned jane more times than I said Jesus or amen. I rushed into the bathroom brushed my teeth and took a proper bath washing all parts of my body including in-between my toes and behind my ear because I wanted to look very fresh. I carefully combed my well gelled hair, wore my painstakingly ironed white and knotted my tie like that of obama's. I hurriedly picked up my bag and zipped it, I hung it on my shoulders and dashed out of the house. Eating that morning would waste my time so I didn't even venture into it. I got to the roadside and flagged down a bus, jumped into it and took a seat almost immediately. I scanned the passengers and noticed they were students of my school in it, taking a bus to school in the morning felt odd but really good......."RINGROAD! RINGROAD!! RINGROAD!!!" The bus conductor cried out for passengers, he was obviously an 'agbero' he had dirty looking dreads on his head, his black skin looked slimy and I concluded he probably hasn't had his bath in the last few days. He wore a black shirt with 'my money grows like grass' inscribed on it, my eyes later spotted his legs and I noticed he wore different legs of bathroom slippers popularly called 'rice and beans' "your money grows like grass and yet you wear rice and beans" I chuckled. The conductor noticed my gaze was locked on him and decided to interrupt my thought "bros your moni?" He said stretching his hand towards me. I gave him a false grin and stretched his money towards him, he forcefully grabbed it and added it to the pile of money he held in his left hand and resumed his duty "RINGROAD! RINGROAD!! RINGROAD!!!" He yelled sticking his head out of the window. "Am with you my yori yori" the bass speakers located at the front and back of the bus blasted in my ears. I couldn't help but nod my head to the rhythm of the hit song. We reached my bus stop and I signalled the bus driver to stop "HEY. OKADA! OKADA!!" I yelled before I completely alighted the bus. I quickly ran across the street and hopped on the okada without even negotiating the price. I pointed in the direction of my school and the okada zoomed off, in no time we got to the gate of my school and I jumped down before the okada fully came to a halt, I threw 100 naira in his face and ran off before he could even catch the money. "Oga you nor go collect your 70 naira change?" The okada driver asked with a rising intonation, I waved him off without even turning back. I was sure I was early because the gate looked scanty, I couldn't consult my watch this time "ONCE BEATEN, TWICE SHY" the saying goes. I really wanted to look 'last kobo' in his face today and show him I could be early if I wanted to, I peeped at his corner and saw him snoring his life away on a wooden bench, I shook my head in pity and forged ahead to my class. The beat of my heart increased rapidly and I could hear its pounding as I drew closer to my class. I defeated the stairs 2 steps at a time and walked past my corridor, different groups held their various meetings at designated corners talking about football and the girls talking about the latest fashion in vogue. I got to my seat quietly and sat down, my eyes wondered round the class like a vigilante. I was a little bit relaxed when I realised jane wasn't in the class. I bowed my head on my desk and closed my eyes. I was quiet aware of what went on around me "good morning ma" some students chorused as mrs temitope walked into the class, some students followed her into the class helping her with her bags. In no time the class was full and every body had taken their seats. My head was still bowed down to avoid eye contact with jane. "How are you all today?" Mrs temitope inquired "fine ma" the class chorused "who is this person sleeping in my class" mrs temitope asked. I figured she might be talking to me so I raised my head for confirmation "me?" I asked pointing to chest. "No oh! Not you my grand father in village" she teased "did you eat beans this morning? Or did you fly in the night?" She added. Some voices behind me chuckled. "No ma" I said with a weak smile amazed at her sense of humour. The biology lecture went on for foty minutes and I didn't tilt throughout to avoid story that touch. At the end of the lecture my eyes glued to the enormous ever shaking backside of mrs temitope as she slowly walked out of the classroom. "Ma you forgot the project" an over serious student yelled from the back of the classroom "yes yes thank you my dear God bless you" mrs temitope said and turned back interrupting my live streaming. She called out half of the class and said its a project for two, she ordered the selected students to pick their partners. I smiled at folake pointing to my self and her repeatedly indicating we were going to be partners. After a while it was time for folake to pick her partner and I winked at her. "No please let me pick first" jane interrupted folake "alright no problem" folake replied "so who is this person you are so in a hurry to pick" mrs temitope asked "DAVID" jane said very confidently with an evil grin locked on me. Everybody was taken aback including me and folake even mrs temitope had a doubtful look on her face "ok folake now your turn" mrs temitope said "I pick obi" folake replied with a low voice. Folake was obviously sad but I didn't even pay much attention to her, I was after saving my head. "You may all return to your seat" mrs temitope said as she walked out of the class. This time my eyes didn't follow mrs temitope they were magneted to jane while she walked back to her seat. I had a very big puzzled look on my face and I couldn't help but wonder why she would pick me. But I knew this could either be very good for me or very bad, I mean really really BAD!!!........ TO BE CONTINUED..........

No comments:

Post a Comment